You can make a tender and juicy Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb with just 15 minutes of prep and less than 2 hours of roasting time. A beautiful way to feed a hungry group of people, it’s a roast that’s perfect for your Easter table, but also wonderful for family meals and dinner parties all year long.
Most of us are used to cooking chicken, pork and beef, but cooking a leg of lamb can be daunting. But I promise that if you follow this simple recipe, you’ll be rewarded with a mouthwatering meal with very little effort.
- Ingredients You Need To Make Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
- Keys to Success
- What to Serve Alongside
- How to Make Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
- Recipe Video
- Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
- 💬 Comments
Ingredients You Need To Make Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
- Olive Oil: Good, extra-virgin olive oil.
- Dijon mustard: I recommend creamy.
- Garlic: Firm, plump cloves with smooth, silvery skin.
- Herbes de Provence: Or a blend of dried herbs and minced fresh rosemary.
- Kosher Salt: Quantity based on Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt – note that other brands such as Morton are almost twice as salty, so adjust the amount accordingly or to taste.
- Black Pepper: Ideally freshly ground.
Keys to Success
It all starts with prepping your lamb leg, unrolling it and trimming off excess fat and tendon. Then you’ll massage it, inside and out, with a fragrant blend of olive oil, fresh garlic, Herbs de Provence and creamy Dijon mustard before rerolling and securing with kitchen twine. In the oven it will tranform into a succulent boneless lamb roast with a crisped, herbaceous crust.
If you’re fortunate enough to have leftovers, make lamb sandwiches (extra mustard for me!) or breakfast hash (like this Corned Beef Hash).
What to Serve Alongside
- Gratin Dauphinois (Creamy classic French potato gratin.)
- Lyonnaise Potatoes (Another delicious French potato side dish with caramelized onions that’s made on your stovetop.)
- Fondant Potatoes (These meltingly tender potatoes start on the stovetop and can finish in the oven while your lamb roast rests.)
- Mashed Red Potatoes (Ultra creamy with a method that might surprise you.)
- Brioche Dinner Rolls (Tender, buttery and so easy to make with this no-knead recipe.)
- Sugar Snap Pea Salad (The perfect pair to roast lamb if you’re making it in the springtime.)
- Strawberry Spinach Salad (With pecans, goat cheese, and a tangy, honey sweetened balsamic vinaigrette.)
- Strawberry Spinach Walnut Salad (A riff on the salad above with walnuts and a Strawberry Vinaigrette.)
- Caesar Salad (Because you can never go wrong with this classic salad.)
How to Make Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
Step 1: Whisk together Dijon herb paste ingredients.
Step 2: Untie and unroll boneless leg of lamb. Trim away excess fat from both sides of the leg. Rub underside with ⅓ of herb paste. Re-roll roast and secure at ends and center with kitchen twine. Rub top with remaining herb paste and place on oven safe baking rack set inside foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
Step 4: Roast in a preheated 425˚F oven for 15 minutes. Reduced heat to 350˚F and roast 1 to 1 ½ hours more, until an instant read or meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 135˚F for medium rare. Remove roast and let stand 15-30 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve.
SUBSCRIBE TO VIDEOS