This guide will help you understand how to convert US shoe sizes to Chinese shoe sizes for men, women, and children.
Size conversions are important for ensuring the right fit for your feet, but it’s also essential to recognize that sizes can vary slightly depending on the type of shoe. Different types of footwear like running shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, or athletic shoes may have slightly different fits even with the same size. Hence, it’s always best to use the size as a reference point, not as a definitive measurement.
Shoe Size Conversion US Shoe Size – Chinese Shoe Size CN
US Men’s SizeChinese Men’s SizeUS Women’s SizeChinese Women’s Size6.0385.035.56.5395.5367.0406.036.57.540.56.5378.0417.0388.5427.538.59.0438.0399.543.58.54010.0449.040.510.544.59.54111.04510.04211.54610.542.512.04711.04312.547.511.54413.04812.044.5
Shoe Size Conversion US Childrens Shoe Size – Chinese Kids Shoe Size CN
US SizeChinese Size1.0321.5332.033.52.5343.0353.5364.036.54.5375.0385.5396.039.5
Measuring Your Foot
For an accurate fit, it’s recommended to measure your foot in both inches and centimeters, as different manufacturers and regions prefer different units of measurement. Keep in mind that while size conversion tables can help you find an estimated shoe size, the most reliable method is to measure your foot and use the corresponding size chart provided by the specific shoe manufacturer or retailer.
Knowing the length of your foot will help with the shoe size conversion. Here’s how you can accurately measure your foot in both inches and centimeters:
- Place a piece of paper on the floor: Secure it against a wall or a hard surface.
- Step on the paper with your heel against the wall: You may want to wear socks that you’d typically wear with the shoes you’re planning to buy.
- Mark the longest part of your foot: It’s often the tip of your big toe. Use a pencil or pen for marking, try to be as precise as possible.
- Measure the length from the edge of the paper to the mark you made: Do this measurement in both inches and centimeters.
- Do the same for both feet: It’s common to have one foot slightly bigger than the other, so measure both feet and use the measurement of the larger foot for your shoe size.
Insider’s Perspective: Five Lesser-Known Facts about Chinese Shoe Sizes and their Conversion to International Standards
- Differences in Standardization: Unlike the US, Europe, and other regions that use half sizes in their standard sizing, Chinese shoe sizes typically come only in whole sizes. This can make it challenging to find a perfect fit when converting sizes, especially for those who normally wear half sizes.
- Measurement System: Chinese shoe sizes are based on the length of the foot in millimeters (mm), which is different from many Western systems that use arbitrary size units and require a conversion chart based on the length of the foot in centimeters or inches.
- Domestic vs. International Brands: Even within China, there can be size discrepancies between domestic and international shoe brands. A Chinese size may not correspond directly with the same size in an international brand made for the Chinese market. It’s always best to refer to the brand’s specific size chart for accurate conversions.
- The “Three Jumps” Sizing: The Chinese shoe sizing system uses a “three jumps” principle for children’s shoe sizes, meaning sizes increase every three millimeters, rather than the two millimeters commonly seen in Western countries. This can lead to confusion when converting children’s shoe sizes between Chinese and Western systems.
- Unisex Sizing: Some Chinese brands use unisex sizing, which does not differentiate between men’s and women’s sizes. While this can simplify conversion and inventory management, it can be challenging for international customers used to gender-differentiated sizing.